Any current playing members (including juniors) and partners and children can use the fund to access mental health services. All non-playing life members and their partners can also use the fund to access services.


Does your workplace have an Employee Assistance Program (EAP)? 


Many workplaces have an EAP which allows employees and immediate family to access up to six mental health/counselling services within a 12 month period. The club encourages all members to explore this option and take advantage of this opportunity. Many workplaces encourage their employees to use their EAP as a preventative measure, to help manage mental health and discuss issues related to professional, personal or financial experiences. Ask your manager at work or your HR department about how you can access your EAP. 


Do you have private health insurance that covers services?


If you have private health insurance, contact them today to find out what services are covered with your plan. 


What will the WINGS fund cover?


The HCC Wings Mental Health fund will help you cover all out-of-pocket costs associated with seeking professional mental health treatment and support, including consultations with your GP and up to 5 individual sessions with a General Psychologist, Clinical Psychologist, Counsellor or Psychiatrist.


Where to get help for WINGS:


(1) See your General Practitioner


Medicare Card holders: The first step is often the biggest, hardest and most daunting, but like any other illness or health condition, your GP is the first port of call to getting better. If you’re a Medicare Card holder, your GP can talk to you about the Better Access Scheme. This is a Medicare Program that allows people to access up to 10 subsidised individual sessions with a psychologist or psychiatrist within a 12-month period. The club’s Wings program will cover the remaining gap for those sessions, including the initial appointment with the GP. Your GP will collaborate with you to develop a Mental Health Treatment Plan. This plan involves an assessment of the challenges you’re experiencing and the development of a series of achievable goals for the duration of the plan. You can then take this plan to your psychologist and psychiatrist.

Non-Medicare Card holders: Members who are not eligible to receive Medicare rebates can still consult a GP for a referral to a psychologist or psychiatrist. For these members, the club will cover all the costs associated with accessing psychology or psychiatry services for up to 10 individual sessions within a 12-month period, as well as the cost of associated GP consults.


 (2) Find a Service


It’s important to find a clinician and service you are comfortable with, trust and is centred on your needs.

The club has developed a partnership with Mynd Psychological Consulting, a Hawthorn-based service. Any services accessed through Mynd Psychological Consulting can be anonymously invoiced to the club, who will pay for any outstanding costs associated with the service. Simply state you are a member of the Hawthorn Cricket Club when making the initial appointment.


For members who would like to access services elsewhere, you are are still able to use the fund to pay for out-of-pocket costs. In this case though, you will be required to make the initial payment yourself. You can then email your receipts to along with your bank account details and the Wings Manager will then organise a timely reimbursement into your nominated account. Please note that the Wings Mental Health Program Manager will be aware that you have accessed the service, along with an additional member of Committee who is required to confirm payments from the HCC account.


What services does Mynd Psychological Consulting provide? 


Issues related to: 


  • Relationships 
  • Work/life balance
  • Anger and Violence 
  • Managing Change
  • Addiction and substance misuse 
  • Family challenges and parenting 
  • Stress and anxiety 
  • Depression 
  • Suicide
  • Bereavement, grief and loss 
  • Trauma and conflict 
  • Gambling 
  • Loneliness and isolation 
  • Bullying and harassment 


Other Services: